You say you are serious about sticking to your diet and you don’t want to go anywhere that is going to have food that will tempt you. Certainly not a restaurant because they have all kinds of yummy food there!!! However, if you know some tricks before you walk into a restaurant, it might just help you to feel that you are in control. Know beforehand what you will order so that your eyes aren’t bigger than your stomach. Remember that restaurant meals are fattening. Here are some tips to help you:
- Split an entree with a friend.
- You can order an appetizer as a meal.
- Try eating only half of your entree and take the other half to go.
- Order a salad with the dressing on the side.
- Choose a tomato based sauce for your pasta versus Alfredo sauce. Tomato based sauce has fewer calories and less fat than cream based sauces.
- If you do order pasta, eat only about one cup and take the rest to go.
- Don’t add extra salt to your food.
- Study the menu and look for their lower calorie items or their health conscious meals. Most restaurants are now adding food items to their menu that have lower calories.
- Stay away from heavy laden cheese items or fried items.
- If you must have dessert, order one but share with a friend.
- When eating, eat slowly and chew slowly. Put your fork down after each bite. It takes the brain about 20 minutes to register that you are getting full.
- Stop eating when you are full and not when you are overstuffed.
- Drink water with your meal.
- Stay away from sodas or rich calorie coffees.
If you are aware of all these little things, then you should be in control. Being in control will make you feel better and more confident. Enjoy you trip to a restaurant!